12.11.2005

No uki-uki-waku-waku feelings here

Welcome to the new blog.

As usual, the titlebar, etc. will rotate, but I wanted to start out with something very upbeat and happy-looking, and for me, there are few things that say 'upbeat' like Jet Set Radio. It might just be because it happened to come out during a happy period in my life, but I don't think so. I think the game, on its own, just exudes a jubilant, celebratory attitude toward (fictional Japanese) life (on the street) that always affects me positively. Just look at that blue sky! I mean, this game is about kids who skate around town grinding on rails and tagging walls for basically no other reason than fun. Even when the motherfucking police are rolling out tanks to kill them, they're still doing Backslides and Misty Flips and spraying big, colorful tags. The whole time, relentlessly catchy music is playing over the pirate radio station for whom the game is named.

A lot of people play games as escapism, and there really isn't a better game to play for that purpose than JSR. My experience is that I just feel better when I play it. How could a game be any more perfect than that?

I wanted that perfect, escapist, happy feeling to be here too. I stole happiness from Sega.

(I'm sort of disappointed with this first entry, but if I think of better/more things to say about Jet Set Radio later, I will in a new post. I'm not going to stop myself from posting like I normally would! HAPPY BLOG, HAPPY POSTS)