10.11.2006

Let's internship!

So you guys are all incredibly brilliant and also adventurous. I want some of that. I'm asking you to rub some of your magical success-attracting pheromones onto me (metaphorically, at least, as I'm a)really far away from you and b)kind of a germophobe) by maybe telling me how I can find an internship or a summer position. Mary recently expressed a desire to take an internship this summer, and it occurred to me that it may be possible for me to do the same thing. We're getting close to the 'employed' period of our lives, and we're probably going to end up living in Texas, so we'd both like the opportunity to live somewhere else for a little while (basically a summer) while we still have the chance. Also, now that I have a chance of having a career, I'd like to advance it, and put some bullet points on my resume that don't have anything to do with sorting shelves of Dreamcast games. Don't get me wrong, I love sorting Dreamcast games, but I also love being employed by people who feel like it's a good idea to give me money in exchange for tasks I perform in a professional environment. Probably.

Speaking of money, it would be nice to earn some for a change. My computer overheated yesterday! It turns out that my datazzz and straight FLOATING POINT KALK-U-LASHUNZZ be shit hot and my processor was all DAMN.

So yeah. I know there are people reading this who have gone all over the country doing crazy temporary things, and I am asking for any resources you know of. Also ideas for things I could do.

3 Comments:

At Thu Oct 12, 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

What do you *want* to do?

I want you to answer the first one, but in general, what kind of industry do you want? Do you want library, linguistics, games, entertainment, all of the above? Are there any specific companies you like? Any parts of the country you like or really don't like?

How important is it that you get paid? You could probably do more interesting things more easily for free, but money is important...

 
At Thu Oct 12, 07:39:00 PM, Blogger JC! said...

I'm mostly looking for a library thing. It would be great to get some experience in a library, and I could do some weird digitizing or special-collection thing that would be really cool. While the main objective is to have an adventure, it would be rad to further my career whilst adventuring.

Games of course would be ideal, but unlikely. I will, of course, be looking, but I have no idea what I'd be able to do for a summer in the games industry. Testing, maybe, now that you mention it. I could potentially go to California and get a job in QA for a few months. Interesting.

Not linguistics.

As for where... it's mostly just 'not somewhere I've lived.' We're on the cusp of settling down, so we'd (I'd) like to take the opportunity and the excuse to live somewhere else while it's still possible. Locations that I would really enjoy include northern California, the Seattle area, maybe (maybe) NYC, and you know what? Pretty much anywhere!

Even more so, I'd like to go out of the country for the summer. Japan. You know how I roll. Italy. Germany. Sweden. Korea. Exoticland.

I really want to live in Tokyo for some amount of time.

Money is of some importance, but I'm up for keeping my options open.

This is sort of an out-of-the-blue decision, and we're in super early stages of planning. But that's what I want, on my side. The likely thing will be that Mary finds an awesome internship before me and we go live where that is. Which is also fine! It doesn't matter to me which one of us gets the (first) offer.

 
At Fri Oct 13, 03:42:00 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

See, I did see the comment here, and with that information I started some research, but then I went to sleep and didn't reply yet. But know that there's some info being collected with my suggestions. Later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home