1.20.2007

library update post #1

In my second semester of library school, not even a year away from (hopefully) a career in libraries, I’m finally learning some shit about library science. I’m finally just now understanding what some of the stuff is that people are talking about. I haven’t actually spent much time hanging out in the library, so there’s a whole bunch of shit that I just don’t understand about libraries. Like, I’m finally learning what a reference librarian does. All I knew from talking to librarians and library students last semester was that being a reference librarian makes you very proud of yourself. It took me taking a class about reference to figure out what the damn job is.

The cool thing is that reference requires these skills:

  1. Knowing a bunch of stuff.

  2. Knowing how to look stuff up.

  3. Customer service.


Another sign that I’m starting to get it: as I’ve been searching the many e-journal databases for the piles upon piles of assigned readings given to me, I’ve also found some that I want to read. I barely found anything in linguistics that I could read, much less develop a personal interest in.

It is nice to be making measurable progress in school. Also it is nice to know that I won’t be clueless forever and have a chance at being a maybe okay librarian.

I'm also starting to want to post library-science-related things, which I will do separately from this purely personal update

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 11, 08:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home